Westlock County Alberta Canada Meeting Minutes
Council for Westlock County
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF THE COUNCIL FOR
WESTLOCK COUNTY HELD IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBERS AT
THE LOCAL ADMINISTRATION BUILDING IN WESTLOCK ON
TUESDAY MAY 25, 2010
In attendance were Reeve Charles Navratil; Deputy Reeve Bill Starr; Councillors Conrad Sehn, Don James, Charlotte Eliuk, MIke Cook; and Bert Seatter, Administrator Edward LeBlanc and Executive Assistant Cary Mueller.
Reeve Charles Navratil called the meeting to order at 9:01 a.m.
Councillor Charlotte Eliuk: That the Agenda be adopted, as amended:
Add: Other Business:
- Westview Estates
- 2010 Provincial Volunteer Conference
- Wilton Gate Closure
- Tawatinaw Valley Ski Hill
- Bylaw Enforcement
- May 20, 2010 Joint Services Meeting
- Westlock County Industrial Park
- Personnel Issue
- From FCM, an e-mail regarding measuring the impact of new wastewater regulations
Councillor Conrad Sehn: That the Minutes of the Regular Meeting of Council held May 11, 2010 be adopted as presented.
BUSINESS FROM THE MINUTES:
- Discussion took place from the report presented
a) Athabasca Watershed Meeting in Fort McMurray
Councillor Bert Seatter: That Councillor Bill Starr attend the Athabasca Watershed Meeting in Fort McMurray on May 29, 2010.
b) Dapp Lake Road culvert (Bridge File 76270) NW 34-61-25-W4
- Councillors Charlotte Eliuk and Mike Cook met with the landowner and he is willing to cooperate.
Land Purchase re Dapp Lake Road
Councillor Conrad Sehn: That Council accept the recommendation from Councillors Mike Cook and Charlotte Eliuk and compensate the landowners affected by the Dapp Lake Road culvert installation by purchasing the required land at $4,00.00 per acre, (minimum one acre); and compensate for crop damages and settling of the land at the market value of the land.
c) 2010 Construction Project Township Road 644 between Range Roads 14 & 15.
- Information has been received from Alberta Transportation indicating they have no plans to extend Highway 663 west from Highway 44
Request Support for CN Crossing
Councillor Bert Seatter: That Westlock County request support from M.D. 124, Alberta Transportation and MLA Ken Kowalski regarding a CN Railway crossing on Township Road 644 and Range Road 15.
Dennis Mueller, Director of Environmental and Community Services and John Biro, Westlock County Regional Fire Chief, entered the Meeting at 9:26 a.m.
Councillor Charlotte Eliuk: That the proposed Fireworks Bylaw No. 18-2010 Schedule “D” Section 3 (a) Penalty be amended to $500,00.
Councillor Bert Seatter: That Bylaw No.18-2010, that being the Fireworks Bylaw receive third reading as amended and be finally passed.
Vitalize 2010 Conference for Volunteers
Councillor Conrad Sehn: That Westlock County authorize one representative from each of the six active communities in Westlock County to attend the Vitalize 2010 Provincial Voluntary Sector Conference in Edmonton on June 10th, 11th, and 12th, 2010.
Director Dennis Mueller and Regional Fire Chief John Biro left the Meeting at 9:50 a.m.
d) Durasoil® Pilot Project
Durasoil Pilot Project
Councillor Mike Cook: That Westlock County undertake a pilot project using the application of the Durasoil material for dust suppression on the Hidden Valley Golf Course Road.
Reeve Navratil recessed the Meeting at 9:57 a.m.
The Meeting reconvened at 10:02 a.m.
Vanessa Ergang, Manager of Enforcement Services, entered the Meeting at 10:02 a.m.
- Request for input on changes to the Law Enforcement Framework was Discussed
- Manager Ergang will prepare a response to AAMDC based on Council’s decision
- Regional Enforcement Services was discussed
Councillor Conrad Sehn left the Meeting at 10:35 a.m. and returned at 10:36 a.m.
Regional Enforcement Negotiations with Town of Westlock
Councillor Don James: That Council authorize Vanessa Ergang, Manager of Enforcement Services to continue negotiations with the Town of Westlock regarding Regional Enforcement Services.
Carried Manager Ergang left the Meeting at 10:40 a.m.
1. From St. Jean Baptiste Festival Committee, an invitation to their festival on June 26, 2010.
- Will be discussed at the June 8, 2010 Council Meeting
2. From the Westlock Preschool dated April 21, 2010, a request for financial support
Deny Request from Westlock Preschool
Reeve Charles Navratil: That Westlock County deny the request from the Westlock Preschool as it is not within the mandate of Westlock County.
Debbie Wanechko and Heather Sylvestre entered the Meeting at 10:50 a.m.
3. From Hector Goudreau, Minister of Municipal Affairs, dated April 26, 2010, information regarding high intensity residential fires (HIRF).
4. From Honourable Ken Kowalski, MLA Barrhead-Morinville-Westlock, dated May 5, 2010, a response to our letter regarding cataract surgeries.
5. From AAMDC, dated May 12, 2010, an invitation to their 2nd Annual Business Services Golf tournament on June 16, 2010.
6. From Alberta Municipal Affairs, dated may 14, 2010, a Municipal Sustainability Strategy Update.
Larry Arndt entered the Meeting at 10:52 a.m.
7. From Alberta International and Intergovernmental Relations, a copy of the letter from Honourable Iris Evans regarding the New West Partnership Trade Agreement.
8. From Wooklands County dated May 14, 2010, an invitation to their Wellsprings Family Resource and Crisis Centre in Whitecourt on Monday, June 14, 2010.
- Reeve Navratil will attend this session. Administration will contact the Westlock Women’s Association to inform them of the session.
Laurie Strutt, Manager of Planning & Development entered the Meeting at 10:58 a.m.
9. From FCM, information regarding proposed new wastewater regulations.
Response to FCM
Councillor Bert Seatter: That Westlock County send a response to FCM stating the need for funding for upgrading of waste water systems.
Councillor Bert Seatter: That Council accept the correspondence package as information.
Dean Wiegand entered the Meeting at 10:59 a.m.
Public Hearing re
Pt SE 03-60-27-W4
Lot 7 Plan 8320956
Council conducted a Public Hearing regarding an application to amend the County’s Municipal Development Plan Bylaw Policy 5.0 of Westlock County’s Municipal Development Plan Bylaw No. 18-2003 and Sub-Section 6.7 and 7.27 of Westlock County’s Land Use Bylaw No. 19-2003 to provide for the subdivision of one additional parcel for country residential purposes on Lot 7, Plan 8320956 in Pt. SE 03-60-27-W4 (3.26 acres)
There was no one present for this hearing.
Councillor Conrad Sehn: That Bylaw No. 19-2010 be given second reading.
Councillor Charlotte Eliuk: That Bylaw No. 19-2010 receive third reading and be finally passed.
Councillor Don James: That Bylaw #20/10 be given second reading.
Councillor Bert Seatter: That Bylaw No. 20-2010 receive third reading and be finally passed.
Public Hearing re
Council conducted a Public Hearing regarding an application to amend the County’s Municipal Development Plan Bylaw Policy 5.0 of Westlock County’s Municipal Development Plan Bylaw No. 18-2003 and Sub-Section 6.2 and 7.27 of Westlock County’s Land Use Bylaw No. 19-2003 to provide for the subdivision of four additional parcels for country residential purposes on NW 22-59-27-W4 (142.03 acres).
Dean Wiegand was present as the applicant for this hearing. Debbie Wanechko, Heather Sylvestre and Larry Arndt were in attendance with concerns regarding this application.
- Inquiries were made regarding the future water supply and also the garbage that is accumulating and being blown onto adjacent property
Councillor Charlotte Eliuk: That Bylaw No. 21-2010 be given second reading.
Councillor Don James: That Bylaw No. 21-2010 receive third reading and be finally passed.
Councillor Conrad Sehn: That Bylaw No. 22-2010 be given second reading.
Councillor Charlotte Eliuk: That Bylaw N. 22-2010 receive third reading and be finally passed.
Dean Wiegand, Larry Arndt, Debbie Wanechko, Heather Sylvestre and Manager of Planning & Development Laurie Strutt left the Meeting at 11:13 a.m.
Councillor Bill Starr left the Meeting at 11:13 a.m. and returned at 11:15 a.m.
Councillor Mike Cook left the Meeting at 11:14 a.m. and returned at 11:16 a.m.
a) Chiropractic Coverage
Table Discussion re
Councillor Bert Seatter: That the discussion regarding the amendment to the Extended Health Care Contract regarding Chiropractor coverage be tabled until June 8, 2010 Council Meeting.
Councillor Bert Seatter: That Council approve the amendment to the Extended Health Care Contract with Equitable Life to 1st Dollar Chiropractor coverage that includes the $200.00 that was formally paid by Alberta Health Care, effective June 1, 2010.
b) Westview Estates
Stu Lorenz, Chairman of the Westlock Foundation Board and Marilyn Lannon, Chief Executive Officer of the Westlock Foundation entered the Meeting at 11:26 a.m.
Reeve Navratil recessed the Meeting at 11:28 a.m.
The Meeting reconvened at 11:35 a.m.
Statement and 2010
Westlock Foundation Board Chairman Stu Lorenz presented the 2009 Financial Statement and 2010 Budget for the Westlock Foundation.
Stu Lorenz and Marilyn Lannon left the Meeting at 12:03 p.m.
Reeve Navratil recessed the Meeting at 12:04 p.m.
The Meeting reconvened at 1:06 p.m.
Other Business cont’d:
c) Gary Wilton road allowance
- A letter was received from Gary Wilton’s lawyer regarding the agreement to remove the gate from the County road allowance. The letter was forwarded to Westlock County’s lawyer and the County has instructed it’s lawyer to forward a letter to Mr. Wilton’s legal counsel advising them of the 15 day extension to remove the said gate.
d) Mill Rate Meeting
- Further calculations are required by Administration
- May 26, 2010 Meeting will commence at 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- May 27, 2010 Meeting will commence at 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
e) Paving of streets in Busby
Busby Lions Parking
Councillor Charlotte Eliuk: That Westlock County do the preparation work for the Busby Lions parking lot to be paved.
f) Toxic Spill update
- 1300 tonnes of contaminated material had to be removed
- Anticipate being compensated through the insurance of RBS Trucking
g) Pemina River District 3
- A Golf Tournament will follow the meeting on July 26, 2010
- No members of Council will attend the Golf Tournament
h) New Ownership Map
- Any changes required should be given to Peggy Hardinge, Manager of Finance & Administration
i) World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 2010
- Fax received from Westlock Women’s Association on May 25, 2010.
- Received as information
Councillor Conrad Sehn: That Bylaw No. 23-2010, that being a bylaw of Westlock County to provide for a special levy to pay for a portion of the cost of repairs and maintenance for certain water distribution systems, be given first reading.
Councillor Conrad Sehn: That Bylaw No. 23-2010 receives second reading.
Consent for 3rd
Councillor Don James: That consent be given for Bylaw No. 23-2010 to receive third reading.
Councillor Bert Seatter: That Bylaw No. 23-2010 receive third reading and be finally passed.
Concrete at Dapp
Bulk Water Station
Reeve Charles Navratil: That Council authorize the installation of concrete at the bulk water station in Dapp.
Dapp Bulk Water
Councillor Mike Cook: That the water rates for the bulk water station in Dapp be consistent with the Hamlet rates.
Councillor Bill Starr: That the Accounts for Payment, as authorized by the Deputy Reeve in the amount of $872,240.93 be approved for payment.
Councillor Charlotte Eliuk: That the Financial Report for the period ending April 30, 2010 be received as presented.
- Position of FCSS Director has not been finalized
- Westlock Regional Waste Management Commission:
- Compactor being sent to auction
- Increase in revenue from 2009 at April 30, 2010
- Westlock & District Ambulance Authority:
- Meeting scheduled for June 9, 2010
- Westlock Municipal Airport Authority:
- Stakeholders Meeting was held May 20,2010
- Increase in vandalism and break-ins since the absence of an on-sight manager
Landscape Road to
Councillor Bert Seatter: That Administration consider landscaping Range Road 260 (Airport Road) to allow for mowing.
- Westlock Municipal Library/Yellowhead Regional Library:
- Local library is operating successfully
- Westlock & District Senior Transportation:
- Nothing to report
- Westlock Seed Cleaning Co-op:
- Nothing to report
- Westlock Foundation:
- Proceeding with rehabilitation of the Pembina Lodge
- A needs assessment is being considered
- Organization Meeting was May 19, 2010 at Long Lake. As a result, the Chairman is Dale Kluin.
- Tawatinaw Valley Ski Club:
- Meeting was held May 20, 2010
- Projected opening date for 2010/2011 season is December 1. 2010
- Tawatinaw Community Futures:
- Administrator Norm Bates is leaving the employment of Tawatinaw Community Futures
- Anticipate hiring replacement by August 31, 2010
- Subdivision and Development Appeal Board:
- An appeal is scheduled for May 27, 2010
- Joint Services Commission:
- Meeting was held May 20, 2010
- Meeting scheduled for June 17, 2010
- County Industrial Park Development Committee:
- Storm water pond will not be completed until end of June, 2010
- Alberta Trail Net:
- All members of Council attended the bridge opening on May 14, 2010
- Community Development Committee:
- Meeting was held May 21, 2010
- Westlock County entrance signs are being installed
- Volunteer Appreciation has been discussed
- Westlock Regional Water Services Commission:
- Meeting was held May 18, 2010
- Contracts are being completed
- Holding cell is being constructed at the river
- Westlock Historical Society:
- Reeve Charles Navratil and Councillor Don James attended the opening of the Mildred Hay Doll Collection on May 21, 2010
- Pancake Breakfast was held May 24, 2010
- Additional expansion of the museum may be required
Reeve Navratil recessed the Meeting at 2:23 p.m.
The Meeting reconvened at 2:29 p.m.
Councillor Charlotte Eliuk: That the Meeting go In Camera at 2:30 p.m.
Councillor Conrad Sehn: That Council return to the Regular Meeting at 3:40 p.m.
Reeve Navratil adjourned the Meeting at 3:41 p.m.