Kawerak Transportation Program Brochure
Kawerak Transportation Program
About the Kawerak Transportation
The Kawerak Transportation Program is funded by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Tribal Transportation Program (TTP).
The Tribal Transportation Program is a FHWA funded national program that seeks to address transportation needs of tribes by providing funds for planning, designing, construction and maintenance activities.
Our principal goal is to assist our communities in building a safe and healthy surface transportation infrastructure. Secondary goals include providing employment and training, and advocacy for the transportation, erosion, and flooding concerns of Region.
Tribes/Communities served by KTP:
Image. Gambell Community Meeting
2007 Best Practices Award from the Denali Commission
2008 Planning Award from the Transportation Research Board
Unalakleet Community Streets 2010
Gambell Community Streets 2011
St. Michael Community Streets 2012
Current & Future Projects
Kawerak Transportation Program Up-Coming Projects 2013
St. Michael Community Streets 2012 - 2013
Trail Staking - Wales, Diomede, Brevig Mission 2013
Stebbins Community Streets 2014
Golovin Community Streets Design 2014
Elim Community Streets Design 2014
White Mt. Community Streets Design 2014
Teller Community Streets Design 2015
Wales Community Streets Design 2015
Communities that have had projects:
- 2001 Elim Iron Creek Culvert
- 2004 Shishmaref Seawall
- 2006 MOA with State of Alaska was entered to provide 9.03% match for Gambell Evacuation Road, construction completed in 2012
- 2006 Solomon Road
- 2006 Koyuk Community Streets
- 2007 Tumet was created
- Dust Control – all with Envirokleen in 2007 Durasoil® in 2010 & 2011
- 2009 Brevig Mission Community Streets
- 2008 Maintenance Pass Thru Policy Approved by board
- 2008 Kawerak/Tumet created Arrigah JV with Eagle Electric for Shishmaref Revetment
- 2008 Diomede Boardwalk
- 2008 Stebbins-St. Michael Road Maintenance
- 2008 Serpentine Trail Staking
- 2009 Woolley Lagoon Maintenance
- 2010 Unalakleet Community Streets
- 2011 Gambell Community Streets
- 2012 MOA with State of Alaska was entered for trail stakes between Brevig Mission & Wales
- 2012 Teller Coyote Creek & Brevig Mission Maintenance
Please note that project years may change as Kawerak seeks to maximize their partnerships and funding on projects with the State of Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facililities (ADOT-PF), the Denali Commission, the Federal Highways Administration (FHWA) Village Safe Water (VSF) and ANTHC. We also face funding constraints and need to be flexible.
To be considered as a project for KTP:
- The respective project must be in the villages Long Range Transportation Plan or within Kawerak’s administrative planning component.
- The route must be included on the tribal inventory.
- The project must be included in the Tribal Transportation Program, which is approved by the Kawerak Board of Directors.
- Each project is scored by KTP utilizing a Scoring Matrix which is in the Kawerak Project Prioritization Policy.
Image. Kawerak Inc.
25 CFR 170
MAP – 21
DOTPF Standard Specifications for Highway Construction NEPA
Below is a list of Kawerak Transportaion Program staff if you may have any questions.
Inventory GIS Specialist
Toby Anungazuk-On call
Kawerak Transportation Program
500 Seppala Drive
PO Box 948
Nome, Alaska 99762
Phone (907) 443-4395
Fax (907) 443-4473